You May Have PCOS
You may have PCOS. Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, or PCOS, affects as many as 1 in 10 women in the U.S. and is a result of the ovaries making more androgens than normal.
Androgens are male hormones that females also make. These androgens inhibit the growth, maturity, and ovulation of the majority of early follicles (eggs). For that reason, most women with PCOS do not always have regular menstrual cycles.
Other Facts About PCOS
- The high levels of androgens associated with PCOS can result in reproductive issues.
- There is no know cause for PCOS and it doesn’t seem to be genetic.
- It is true the patients with PCOS have a harder time to get pregnant. Unlike women who ovulate and have a period every month, women with PCOS don’t ovulate as much thus do not have as many chances. However there are very effective medications and treatments for PCOS that ensure ovulation each cycle.
- Health issues with PCOS may subside as women approach menopause but other risks like heart attack, stroke, and diabetes increase and a woman gets older.
- Weight gain, most often around the waist, is common with PCOS
- Additional symptoms of PCOS are excessive skin tags and hair growth of the face, chest, stomach back, thumbs, and toes.
- There’s more bad news. Women with PCOS may experience some long-term problems associated with PCOS like anxiety, depression, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and diabetes.
The good news is that there are effective treatment options that include a healthier lifestyle by increasing exercise and decreasing processed and high sugar foods. Other treatments include Metformin (to control blood sugar), Progesterone pills, birth control pills, and anti-androgen medicines.
Although there is no silver bullet to diagnose PCOS, if your provider suspects that you have PCOS, she or he will prescribe a physical exam, pelvic exam, blood test, and a vaginal ultrasound.
If you think that you may have PCOS, don’t wait. Make an appointment with your healthcare provider today.
Ma’am Exams is a new-generation of beautiful healthcare for women. Our signature service is the Four Square Women’s Care Exam®: mammogram, annual women’s wellness checkup, PAP test, and Cancer Watch® skin check completed in one-hour for a single co-pay. Watch for a Ma’am Exams clinic coming to your area soon! www.maamexams.com