Sweet and Sour Chicken
Sweet & Sour Chicken
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/2 cup arrow root starch (or cornstarch)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar or regular white sugar
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Coconut Aminos (or gluten free soy sauce/tamari)
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 1 red pepper cut into chunks
- 1 cup pineapple chunks
- 3 spring onions stalks
- First prepare the sauce by adding the coconut sugar, vinegar, coconut aminos, chicken stock and ketchup to a medium sauce pan.
- Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce to a low heat and leave until later.
- Add chicken pieces and beaten egg to a large ziplock bag. Seal and shake to coat chicken.
- Then add the arrowroot starch to the bag, shaking again to lightly coat all the chicken pieces.
- Drizzle a large pan or skillet with oil.
- Add the coated chicken. Fry over medium heat, a couple of minutes on each side until the coating begins to crisp.
- Add pepper and pineapple chunks. Continue to saute over medium heat until chicken is browned and cooked through.
- Add the sauce to chicken and peppers. Cover and reduce the heat down to a simmer and allow the juices to soak into the chicken for a few minutes.
- Top with sliced green onions. Serve over rice and enjoy!
Modified. Courtesy of www.asaucychicken.com